Oct 18, 2009

New season, new faces, new hopes for Toronto Maple Leafs fans...?


Toronto Maple Leafs forwards Lee Stempniak (L) and Jason Blake skate off the ice following their loss to the New York Rangers during their NHL hockey game in Toronto October 17, 2009.

Does anything ever change in Leafland?

At the end of every year we’re given the same song and dance that next year will be better.

Apologies from the Leafs brass about the year not having the “results we were looking for”...

“We are disappointed that we didn't achieve our primary goal of advancing to the playoffs and completing for the Stanley Cup. “...

“We share your disappointment. However, we accomplished much “...

“Preparations for next season are already underway. We know we will be better next year as so many of our younger players will have gained from the experience. Every member of our staff will work diligently in the weeks and months ahead to continue to move forward toward the ultimate goal of bringing the Cup back to Toronto.”... blah, blah, blah.

That was the sentiment and part of a letter sent out by John Ferguson Jr. for the 07 season to all “Leafs fans” who “are the greatest fans in hockey” according to him.


"I think we have some good players that, as our team gets better, will be valuable parts of what we're trying to do. I know people are expecting wholesale change, but I don't expect that." - Leafs GM Brian Burke

How long have we been hearing this fairytale? I’ve been a Leafs fan longer than I can remember, well actually I do remember the 1962 Stanley cup win.

It still is very early in the season, yes, with 75 more games to be played, but a disturbingly familiar pattern is rearing its ugly head once again. The Leafs can’t seem to win a game.

I see plenty of new faces but at the end of every game day and every month and every season, year after year it’s the same result... Leafs miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the first or second round, the latter being a rarity by the way.

I’ve always considered myself to be the eternal optimist when it came to the hapless Leafs, but this is the year where I say optimism be damned!! Enough is enough!

I want to see heads roll and soon, I want to see youth and energy and soon, I want to see that “pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence” Burke was talking about, after all if there is no action with those words, that’s all they are just words.

Enough! This could be the year that will finally break me as a “loyal fan”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go To Top